Saturday, November 25, 2006

 

So what meal is that?


If you get an invitation to someone's place.. for a surprise birthday bbq for another friend... for 1.00, what meal do you assume it's for?

If you thought lunch (a late lunch) like me.. then you are wrong! We are all a bit out of whack here tonight... and that's saying something for a family that is capable of sleeping in and not having breakfast till 11am... and lunch at 3.00!

Not that we starved; there were biscuits and cheese, and chips, ... and at around 3.00 they brought out some garlic prawns - split and done in the oven somehow. So I wasn't starving, but poor Zoe didn't get to eat them because I had to take her to a ballet dress rehearsal at 3.15, and a friend at the gathering did her hair and makeup for me - before the prawns were served.

So there I was thinking I was going to miss out on the food while I did the ballet run... and I actually chose to come back (a 10 min drive each way) rather than sit at the hall for an hour... and then go back and pick her up. When we got back after 4.30, we hadn't missed a thing!

So I guess it was an 'early' dinner.. somewhere around 5.30/6.00 by the time the meat was cooked... We've just got home at nearly 8.00.. and the kids are telling me they are hungry! "But you just had dinner!" ... "Yeah, but we've only had 2 meals today!"

I'm confess I'm a bit confused as well. Must remember to clarify that sort of thing next time. Otherwise it was a pleasant afternoon; the birthday girl was mid-60s, and had never had a birthday party in her honour. (She is our netball club/association 'matriarch'). So she was pretty chuffed about it.

And after a few wines (after I didn't have to drive on the highway)... I'm almost ready for bed myself. (And at least my asian crunchy noodle salad was polished off..)

Labels: ,


Comments:
I've heard people mention salad with crunchy noodle before. Can you tell me the ingredients please? It sounds yummy.
 
Pix, if you buy a packet of fried noodles (Changs, I think) it has the recipe on the pack.

Basically it's half a chinese wombok cabbage, chopped up...,and a few shallots, chopped up.

Get a packet of slivered almonds, and brown them (I put them on paper towel on a plate in the microwave, and give them short blasts, mixing them round in between...)

and the packet of fried noodles.

The dressing is:
1/4 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
2 tsp sesame oil (says optional but I use it)
1/2 cup olive oil

Put in small saucepan, stir over low heat till sugar dissolved. Cool.

I halve that though.. I think it's too soggy otherwise...

So.. just before serving add the almonds, noodles and dressing. Toss.
 

Post a Comment





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?